All over the world, builders, engineers, architects, and designers of all types are coming to rely on the superior qualities offered by steel as a building material. Steel fabrication companies have refined their processes to be more efficient and accurate than ever, delivering precise results that are engineered for long-term performance. From bridges to airports, and schools to skyscrapers, steel structure design has evolved to become a premium choice for nearly every building application. If you’re in need of experienced structural steel fabricators in Michigan, Sanilac Steel is available to benefit every aspect of your project.
Since 1967, our Marlette team has worked to deliver every service needed to complete your project on time and on budget. We have the expertise and technology needed to deliver precise outcomes for every application. To say we’re passionate about our steel services may be a bit of an understatement. Today, we’ll highlight a few advantages that steel construction can provide for architects, engineers, planners, and even private builders. If you’re in need of expert assistance, be sure to call at (989) 394-0672 or contact us online today!
Resistance to Changes
Structural steel is very valuable in building applications because it is designed to resist a number of physical property changes. When compared to other building materials, steel often is by far the most advantageous. Modern builders are always pushing the limits on steel applications, including projects in the harshest environments.
Professional steel fabrication and erection services can ensure an ideal outcome for your building. Steel can be treated to provide a number of advantages, including resistances to:
- Shrink – The yield of your concrete will change once the product begins to cure and moisture is lost. Poor execution and poor planning can both cause serious shortcomings in terms of material shrinkage.
- Warp – A variety of stressors can cause your building material to deform, often warping on one of its axis in response to excess load weights. Uneven surfaces can reduce product strength.
- Swell – Steel is not very reactive, creating few changes to the surrounding materials. This material produces few chemical attractions, reducing moisture concerns throughout. In relation to soil, steel does not cause swelling.
- Rot – Exposure to moisture can cause considerable damage to many building materials. Dry rot is also a problem that can ruin the integrity of timber. When properly treated, your steel structure design can provide considerable resistance.
- Creep – Also known as cold flow, this process can result in slow deformations due to repeated weights and stressors. Over time, high levels of stress that are far below the yield strength can still result in material damages.
Over the years, steel fabrication companies have been able to perfect their processes to deliver products that are more precise, more reliable, and better able to perform in many environments. Sanilac Steel has spent over 50 years honing our services, and our Michigan-based structural steel fabricators are ready to deliver ideal results for your project. We know how our metals will perform, and are confident in being able to deliver the best fit for any design specifications.
Steel is now also better understood by engineers, architects, and builders. Combined, these professionals have been able to determine the depth and value of structural steel, determining design limits and making this building material more reliable than ever.
One reason many professionals rely on structural steel design as the core of their buildings is that it is able to play nicely with other materials. Temperature variations are often to blame for incompatibility issues between different building materials. Michigan often sees freezing temperatures, with rapid changes through the seasons causing materials everywhere to expand (when warming) and contract (when freezing). Known as thermal expansion, this phenomenon results in changes in the shape, size, and density of your materials.
Concrete that is placed with a building material that does not share a similar coefficient of thermal expansion can begin to change at different rates, placing erratic strain on varying surfaces across the building. Structural steel helps to minimize these complications, providing a similar rate of expansion.
There are many advantages of using steel in a variety of building applications. Next time, we’ll discuss a few more reasons why steel structure design has become such a popular choice worldwide. If you’re looking for quality results across Michigan, our structural steel fabricators are here and ready to get to work. Contact us today to get an estimate for your project!